In 1868, Nicholas Gerber opened the first Green County, Wisconsin cheese factory in a small log house southwest of New Glarus. Five local farmers initially supplied the milk for the factory which was a resounding success, providing a much needed boost to the struggling local economy. From that point forward, things would never be quite the same again in Green County where turning milk into cheese soon became the local equivalent of turning lead into gold. Each year, on the second Saturday of June, the Master Cheesemakers assisted by retired cheesemakers, will make a 90 pound wheel of Swiss Cheese in the same manner as it was done over a century ago.
We had a chance to visit the new Emmi-Plant in Monroe…. They are producing 30 different kind of cheese in Wisconsin. But starting May 1st they are not allowed to call Gruyere Cheese Gruyere. They have chosen the name "Grand Cru – Surchoix".